Ik ging laatst op zoek naar quotes over schrijven. Ik stuurde er ook een aantal naar Adriënne, want die worstelt nogal met haar verhaal. Hopelijk hebben andere schrijvers-in-de-dop er ook wat aan!
- Schrijven, is iets fluisteren wat door niemand gezegd wordt.
- As a writer, words are your paint. Use all the colors.
- Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else
- Writing is the best way to talk without being interrupted.
- Writing is like everything else: the more you do it the better you get. Don’t try to perfect as you go along, just get to the end of the damn thing. Accept imperfections. Get it finished and then you can go back. If you try to polish every sentence there’s a chance you’ll never get past the first chapter.
- You become a writer because you need to become a writer — nothing else.
- A writer is a writer not because she writes well and easily, because she has amazing talent, because everything she does is golden. In my view, a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway.
- Don’t talk about it; write.
- When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story.
- You fail only if you stop writing.
- Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation.
- There are so many different kinds of writing and so many ways to work that the only rule is this: do what works. Almost everything has been tried and found to succeed for somebody.
- Maybe the hardest thing in writing is simply to tell the truth about things as we see them.
- One thing that helps is to give myself permission to write badly. I tell myself that I’m going to do my five or 10 pages no matter what, and that I can always tear them up the following morning if I want. I’ll have lost nothing—writing and tearing up five pages would leave me no further behind than if I took the day off.
- I learned to write by reading the kind of books I wished I’d written.
- Read intensely. Write every day. Then see what happens. Most writers who do that have very pleasant careers.
- People say, ‘What advice do you have for people who want to be writers?’ I say, they don’t really need advice, they know they want to be writers, and they’re gonna do it. Those people who know that they really want to do this and are cut out for it, they know it.
- If we don’t risk it all, we may as well not write at all.
- You have to write. A lot of writers have this vague hope that the elves will come in the night and write it for you. They don’t.
- Sit down, and put down everything that comes into your head and then you’re a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff’s worth, without pity, and destroy most of it.
- On plenty of days the writer can write three or four pages, and on plenty of other days he concludes he must throw them away.
- I’m writing a book. I’ve got the page numbers done.
- If you think of the story that you tell that’s your favorite personal story, or funny story, it doesn’t have flashy sentences. It doesn’t have too much detail. It just tells the story. That isn’t, for whatever reason, the way most people write books. But it seemed to me that there was no reason that it couldn’t be the way at least one person writes books. I said: ‘I’m going to stop writing the parts that people skim.’
- Do not start a story unless you have an ending in mind. You can change the story’s ending if you wish, but you should always have a destination.
Quotes komen trouwens van ilovereadingandwriting.tumblr.com (: